I Made a Smart Thermostat
You are probably reading the title above and wondering why would I do that but it really is not as boring as you might think.
First of all, many of you might know that I moved from my old apartment into a house last September. I do love the house and 99% of it and the remaining 1% is the heating system because it is the old-school baseboard (electric).
I, just like Elon Musk, love electricity, but even though Canada is providing it from mostly renewable sources, it can get expensive. So the reason #1 for making a thermostat was to save money.
Reason #2 was the convenience of having and using it. Nest thermostat has been around for a while and it can learn when you leave and come home or your desired temperature. That is a bit too fancy for me because I just wanted to be able to control it remotely, set it on a timer and, obviously, set the desired temperature. And that’s exactly what...
Continue reading →